The new version of OS X is always an excitement to Mac users, and the most recent version OS X Mountain released on July 25th was no different. You may can’t wait to install and use it, for it has more than 200 innovative new features, including system-wide Sharing, Facebook integration, all-new Messages app. If now you are running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, or outdated OS X Lion, you can get it from Mac App Store for $19.99 (US).
Three Points Which Should Be Noted:
1. Once you have purchased OS X10.8 from App Store, you can not go back. OS X Lion has been removed from Mac App Store, and once you purchase Mountain Lion, OS X Lion will be deleted from the “Purchased” list.
2. OS X Mountain Lion is not supported by all the Mac computer. And the Mac we listed below are available for upgrading to Mountain Lion (from Apple Official Site):
- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
3. To upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion, you should make sure your Mac are running Lion or the latest version of Snow Leopard. If not, upgrade it before you purchase OS X Mountain.
How to Upgrade Your Mac to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion?
The method to upgrade to Mountain Lion is mainly the same as Lion, i.e. download from Mac App Store. Why I said “mainly”? For Mountain Lion will not release a USB version. The OS X Mountain Lion download is 4.34GB and time to download depends on the speed of your network connection. The following is the installation tutorial:
Tips: You are suggested to backup your Mac before the installation. You can backup your Mac onto Apple’s Time Capsule or use an external hard drive to backup the important files. And you can also use iCloud, but keep in mind that it doesn’t support all the file types.
- Step 1: Go to Mac App Store and enter “OS X Mountain Lion” in the search box.
- Step 2: Download the package by entering your account.
- Step 3: When the download is finished, follow the onscreen instructions to install it.
You can consult the chart below to learn the time to install Mountain Lion:
You can know that if you have SSD, the time of upgrade will be sharply reduced, as pictured above.
Apple’s Mountain Lion Is Worth the Upgrade
The new Mac software is well worth $20 upgrade, why? The upgraded operating system brings many important iOS features to Mac, such as Notification Center, AirPlaying Mirroring, Facebook integration, Twitter integration and system-wide Sharing. And the Messages app, Finder and more other apps also have new upgrades. What’s more, Mountain Lion has added unified search and navigation bar to Safari, and its iCloud integration speeds up the set-up process.